Today’s recipe is super simple almond butter, made even more delicious that usual thanks to the addition of cacao and coconut, because who doesn’t like chocolate and coconut flavoured food.
I made this in the Thermomix and I couldn’t believe how easily it turned the almonds into almond butter. Of course, you can make this in a good food processor or high powered blender (like a Vitamix), but you will probably need to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl a few extra times. If you don’t have any kitchen gadgets you could always buy almond butter and simply mix it with the coconut butter and cacao by hand.
On the other hand, if you are a kitchen gadget queen, you can make your own coconut butter the same way that you make almond butter, just throw some coconut flakes in the Thermomix / food processor / Vitamix and blend until it turns into butter, scraping down the sides as needed. I had some coconut butter that needed using so have used raw almonds and Artisana Coconut Butter (the absolute best).
This is so creamy and thanks to the coconut its not too rich. I used almost the entire jar to make the most delicious batch of chocolate granola, which I managed to polish off in about 3 days… woops!
- 1.5 cups (250 grams) raw almonds
- 5 tablespoons (100 grams) coconut butter
- ¼ cup (20 grams) raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener (optional)
- Add almonds to bowl and grind 25 seconds / Speed 10
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and repeat until you have the consistency of butter (1 or 2 times)
- Add coconut butter, cacao powder and sweetener (if using) to bowl and mix 15 seconds / Speed 9
- Store in a sterilised glass jar