I made this amazing raw chocolate fridge cake for one of my work friends who is really into her raw, vegan and gluten free foods. I made it especially for her and assumed that everyone else might have a taste but that most of it would be staying with the birthday girl to snack on for the rest of the week. To my delight, just about everyone got stuck into it straight away.
BUT, it is super rich and you only need a teensy piece, so luckily for me, it didn’t all get eaten and we were able to keep some in the freezer for our 3pm cravings throughout the week.
Made with just a few simple ingredients, this recipe is a clear winner in my eyes. I found it over at Gourmande in the Kitchen which is one of my go-to food blogs, full of beautiful nourishing recipes with amazing photography to boot.
I adapted the recipe just a bit and I made this in my Thermomix so have given the instructions for that. If you don’t have a Thermomix don’t panic, all you really need is some way to melt the coconut oil and coconut butter, a knife to chop the almonds and raspberries and a bowl and spoon to mix everything in.
When I put it like that, the Thermomix makes me feel very lazy!
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut butter
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup frozen raspberries (do not thaw), coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup raw or roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- Extra cacao powder to dust
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- If you need to chop your almonds and raspberries in the Thermomix, do the almonds first for 10 seconds / speed 6, then set aside.
- Follow with the frozen raspberries for 10 seconds / speed 4. Place back in the freezer until needed.
- Melt the coconut oil and coconut butter in your Thermomix on 37ºC / 2 minutes / speed 1.5 (time will depend on how hard your coconut oil and butter is, adjust as needed).
- Add the cacao powder and maple syrup and stir until incorporated 1 minute / speed 1.5.
- Add the chopped almonds, raspberries and cacao nibs and combine for 20 seconds / speed 1 (reverse).
- Pour into loaf tin and place in the fridge or freezer until set (at least 1 hour in the freezer).
- Dust with extra cacao powder and cut into small pieces.